MUSEUM GUIDELINES AND POLICIES
- Still photography is permitted in the galleries for personal, non-commercial use only (unless otherwise posted). Video, flash, tripods and selfie sticks are not permitted.
- All bags 11" x 15" or larger, as well as all umbrellas, must be stored in the coat closet at the front desk. See front desk associate for details.
- Please silence and refrain from using cell phones and other personal electronic devices in the galleries.
- Sketching is permitted in the galleries with pencil only, no ink or paint.
- Smoking, including electronic smoking, is prohibited on museum property, including on the plaza and the outdoor sculpture terrace.
- Please refrain from taking food and drink into the galleries.
- Please do not chew gum.
- Please refrain from touching works of art or any protective coverings of artwork.
- No pets are allowed, except for assistance and guide animals.
- For your safety, do not climb or sit on sculptures.
- Do not sit or stand on pedestals or platforms.
- Do not lean on display cases.
- Please be sure children are attended at all times.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Accessibility, Equity and Inclusion
We. Us. Ours. Creating an inclusive work and play environment is complex, and it includes all of us. Museums are a vital part of how we tell the stories of who we are, who we’ve been, and how we will live together. They maintain our cultural heritage and teach us about all the ways we are different and the same. Reflecting the diversity of that heritage is a critical part of museums’ work. The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art is committed to making the museum accessible for all – staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Diversity doesn’t work without inclusion. The way we operate internally and externally, how we talk to each other and about our work, how we make decisions, how we run meetings, and how we solicit and weigh feedback and ideas are all critical elements for building an inclusive organization. We are committed to creating a workplace where everyone’s voice is heard and respected and team members are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
- We believe that building a diverse team is vital for effectively serving diverse visitors and building diverse community partnerships.
- We commit to celebrating diversity, ensuring inclusion and prioritizing equity in our internal and external work. We believe diversity, inclusion and equity are essential to our ability to serve our community well.
- Bechtler Museum of Art embraces, values and respects the full range of social and cultural characteristics, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, gender identity, mental/physical ability, religion and age.
- All public areas in the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art are accessible to visitors in wheelchairs.
- Complimentary wheelchairs may be requested at the admissions desk. Wheelchair availability is on a first-come, first-served basis..
- Elevators are located on all floors of the museum.
- The public restrooms located on the lobby level are accessible.
- An accessible drinking fountain is located near the restrooms.